...to the wacky...
...to the poignant...
...to "how did you forget this when packing up?":
Zone N, easily the most colorful and diverse haul since I started:
- Building materials: 3
- Foam/Styrofoam: 10 (inc. weird yellow felty foamy scrap)
- Fishing misc.: 2 (commercial rope, first bit washed in for a few weeks)
- Food-related plastics: 33 (inc. nectarine label, banana label (see pic above!), "Produce from Mexico" band, 4 ketchup packs [two unopened], 2 spoons, Welch's Fruit Snacks, Quaker Chewy Granola Bar, Yogos Crashers, Capri Sun, various wrappers)
- Food-related metal/glass: 8 (3 beer bottle caps, one pulltab, 2 gum wrappers, one half-used soggy roll of mints, one applesauce lid)
- Non-food/unknown plastics: 31 (inc. small bucket, half-burned BIC lighter, bizarre plastic thingy (pic below), Lego piece - more on this, 2 bandaids, pen cap, bright orange syringe cap?)
- Cigarette filters/plastics: 87 (78 local, 9 maybe washed in)
- Paper/wood: 15
- Misc./unique: 6 (full Circle K coffee cup, 2 flipflops - one broken, 2 paddle pieces, 1 weird rubbery "fish tail" or something?)
Anyway, quick recap of Zone S:
bottlecap, 4 plastic scraps, 2 pieces of foam, 4 pieces of food plastics (possibly all from the same meal - sandwich wrappers, oil packet, fork), 14 cigarettes (10 local, 4 maybe washed in), paper UPC tag, popsicle stick, and...
A light week (by recent standards), but an intriguing one. Don't know if the big storm blew debris into the ocean, or punched it deep into the sand, or if there was just less trash. At any rate, it was a nice change.