Friday Aug 30, 1PM. Bright sun. Sea breeze, upper 70s, puffy clouds in the sky at different layers. The beginning of Labor Day weekend. (A few families wandering around the cove at the far end, enjoying the last of summer.)
Also, underfood I felt a lot of fine, soft sand blown up from foreshore onto the backshore. Dry sand, low waves, and seabreezes blowing it up, up, up. Gorgeous sand! Fine and white and soft as dust.
Sadly, lower down was anything but gorgeous. It was a shocking day for vinyl. The knolls of cobbles helped slow the water down and let the wrack/vinyl settle out into carpets. Every nook and layer of carpet was just flooded with the vinyl coatings of dead & rusted-out lobster traps.
And calm it was.
|1065 pcs of nonrope debris|
- Bldg material/furniture: 0
- Foam/styrofoam: 0
- Fishing rope/net: 0
- Fishing misc.: 972 (928 vinyl lobster trap coating scraps (!), 3 trap parts, 2 bumpers, 38 claw bands, buoy o-ring scrap)
- Food-related plastics: 30 (4 bottlecap o-rings, 19 cup scraps, 2 bread tags, mini-fork, spoon, 3 straws)
- Food-related glass/metal: 1 (aluminum can bottom)
- Nonfood/unknown plastics: 19 (latex balloon, cigarette, hair band, toy truck front (old), 3 tubing pcs, 3 plant stakes, 8 upholstery scraps, cable tie)
- Scrap plastics: 35 ( 8 > 1" , 27 < 1" )
- Paper/wood: 1 (paper towel)
- Non-plastic misc./unique: 7 (5 sea glass, fabric scrap, pc of leather)
Running YTD counts:
- Total pcs of litter -- 7064
- Pcs fishing rope -- 1780
- Vinyl lobster-trap scraps -- 3818