|"This is the morning of creation" - John Muir|
|Wrack, ruin, and signs of an angry sea|
Strikingly, the manmade wreckage at Curtis Cove this week wasn't caused by Sandy. It had been swirling out in the Gulf of Maine long before. Sandy just brought it to the doorstep.
Instead of the usual two bags, this haul doubled that. And then some.
|And I know I couldn't find, much less get, it all|
|215 pcs of rope, about 600 ft total!|
|163 pcs of nonrope debris|
- Bldg material/furniture: 3 (chair leg, 2 flanges)
- Foam/styrofoam: 3
- Fishing rope/net: 215
- Fishing misc.: 63 (15 trap vents, 3 large trap parts, 3 bumpers, 3 vinyl scraps, 17 trap tags, 14 bait bags, aperture net, fishing line, claw band, 3 shotgun shells, 1 wadding, "Live Lobster" tag)
- Food-related plastics: 23 (3 very old bottles, 3 bottlecaps, 1 cap seal, 10 cup scraps, 4 food wrappers, fork scrap, straw)
- Food-related glass/metal: 2 (2 can scraps)
- Nonfood/unknown plastics: 44 (4 bag scraps, 2 intact bags, 8 balloon strings, 6 latex balloons w plastic string clumped together, 1 huge mylar balloon, cigarette lighter, 3 beachball parts, decorative tassel, floating lizard (???), cord, polyfill chunk, bucket lid scrap, thick plaque/sign scrap, gear case, vinyl-coated wire, 2 Hooksett sewage disks, razor case (?), 2 strapping, cable tie, pen, pen cap, toaster oven label, umbrella base, fitting cap)
- Scrap plastics: 24 (20 > 1" , 4 < 1" )
- Paper/wood: 0
- Non-plastic misc./unique: 4 (3 fabric scraps, long leather harness strap?)
Also striking is just how old some of this plastic is, and its varied sources. Of the 17 lobster trap tags that washed in, one was from 1997, another from 1998! 15 years floating & swirling around the sea.
Here is juat a small selection of the more interesting & odd pieces that washed in.
|Very banged-up trap vent|
|Frayed & long-dragged water bottle|
|"Eastern," a Massachusetts bank|
|Notice the fish bite marks|
|Strange plunger-y thing: Thoughts?|
|Pocket protector, bitten/poked to heck|
Running YTD counts:
- Total pcs of litter -- 10486
- Pcs fishing rope -- 2363
- Vinyl lobster-trap scraps -- 4563